Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Only Constant is Change...

So a few things have changed since I last blogged: I am now a mother, in my thirties and have finally let go of the lofty ambition of writing, replacing it with the humble, much more practical job in writing...CVs. Yes, I guess you could say I've settled for second best, but the way I see it I've just settled. Ambition is a relentless treadmill you need to keep up with. Never been a fan of working out anyway. I think I'll stick to walking, taking my time, taking small steps and sightseeing along the way. 
Things change with age anyway. You start seeing things differently. Growing up, I always wanted to be be like my dad: smart, erudite, resilient. But now being a wife and a mother, I've got a whole new respect for my mum, for all her daily mundane feats. I totally get it now, what she's been muttering under her breath for years, that a man could put a single nail in the wall and it would be there for the whole world to see, whereas a woman would cook and clean and do the washing up and yet there will never really be anything finished or completed, there'll always be more meals to cook, things to clean and loads to wash. 
On a very positive note, I have an absolutely adorable daughter who just turned 1 last week. She's staying with my mum and dad right now basking in grandparent attention and enjoying the tropical temperatures of my native Bulgaria, while here we've got our pants legs rolled up waiting for the floods to subside. 
On another positive note, my husband gave me the surprise of a lifetime and I got whisked away to Paris for my thirtieth birthday. It was a romantic, sunny weekend of which I will always think fondly. Plus now we can say we've added France to the fairly long list of countries where we've had good old McDonalds:-)

No comments:

  • Choke
  • Diary
  • Fight Club
  • Interpreter of Maladies
  • Invisible Monsters
  • Jesus' Son
  • Lullaby
  • Man's Search for Meaning
  • Reasons to Live
  • The Kite Runner
  • The Red Tent
  • Then We Came to the End
  • Unaccustomed Earth

Favorite Movies

  • 21 Grams
  • 25th Hour
  • American History X
  • Babel
  • Burn After Reading
  • Crash
  • Donnie Darko
  • Fight Club
  • House of Sand and Fog
  • Memento
  • Requiem for a Dream
  • The Life Before Her Eyes